St. Faustina was named by St. John Paul II, “The Apostle of Divine Mercy” at her canonization in 2000, and the pope encouraged the faithful to read her Diary and grow closer to Jesus. Here are ten quotes from her Diary that can not only strengthen your faith but inspire you to see that the devotion to the Heart of Jesus and Divine Mercy are interwoven and a true blessing to all who practice them.
“The Heart of Christ! His ‘Sacred Heart’ has given men everything: redemption, salvation, sanctification. St. Faustina Kowalska saw coming from this Heart that was overflowing with generous love, two rays of light which illuminated the world.”
— St. John Paul II, Homily on Divine Mercy Sunday, 2001
Ten Quotes from the Diary of St. Faustina focusing on the importance of
the Sacred Heart:
- During Adoration, I heard a voice in my soul: These efforts of yours, My daughter, are pleasing to Me; they are the delight of My Heart. I see every movement of your heart with which you worship Me (Diary, 1176).
2. Even among the sisters, you will feel lonely. Know then that I want you to unite yourself more closely to Me. I am concerned about every beat of your heart. Every stirring of your love is reflected in My Heart. I thirst for your love (Diary, 1542). Today, the Lord said to me, My daughter, look into My Merciful Heart and reflect its compassion in your own heart and in your deeds, so that you, who proclaim My mercy to the world, may yourself be aflame with it (Diary, 1688).
3. At that moment, Jesus suddenly stood before me, coming I know not from where, radiant with unbelievable beauty, clothed in a white garment, with uplifted arms, and He spoke these words to me, My daughter, your heart is My repose; it is My delight. I find in it everything that is refused Me by so many souls (Diary, 339).
4. December 24, 1934. The Vigil of Christmas. During the morning Mass, I felt the closeness of God. Though I was hardly aware of it, my spirit was drowned in God. Suddenly, I heard these words: You are My delightful dwelling place; My Spirit rests in you. After these words, I felt the Lord looking into the depths of my heart; and seeing my misery, I humbled myself in spirit and admired the immense mercy of God, that the Most High Lord would approach such misery (Diary, 346).
5. During Vespers, I heard these words: My daughter, I want to repose in your heart, because many souls have thrown Me out of their hearts today. I have experienced sorrow unto death. I tried to comfort the Lord, by offering Him my love a thousand times over. I felt, within my soul, a great disgust for sin (Diary, 866).
6. During prayer, I heard these words: My daughter, let your heart be filled with joy. I, the Lord, am with you. Fear nothing. You are in My heart. At that moment, I knew the great majesty of God, and I understood that nothing could be compared with one single perception of God. Outward greatness dwindles like a speck of dust before one act of a deeper knowledge of God (Diary, 1133).I will tell you most when you converse with Me in the depths of your heart. Here, no one can disturb My actions. Here, I rest as in a garden enclosed (Diary, 581).
7. When you reflect upon what I tell you in the depths of your heart, you profit more than if you had read many books. Oh, if souls would only want to listen to My voice when I am speaking in the depths of their hearts, they would reach the peak of holiness in a short time (Diary, 584).
8. I heard a voice coming from the Host: Here is My repose. During Benediction, Jesus gave me to know that soon a solemn moment would take place on this very spot. I am pleased to rest in your heart and nothing will stop Me from granting you graces. This greatness of God floods my soul, and I drown in Him, I lose myself in Him, I am melting away in Him … (Diary, 1136).
9. June 1, 1937. Today, the Corpus Christi procession took place. At the first altar, a flame issued from the Host and pierced my heart, and I heard a voice, Here is My resting place (Diary, 1140).
10. Prayer to the Heart of Jesus:
O Jesus, eternal Truth, our Life, I call upon You and I beg Your mercy for poor sinners.
O sweetest Heart of my Lord, full of pity and unfathomable mercy, I plead with You for poor sinners.
O Most Sacred Heart, Fount of Mercy from which gush forth rays of inconceivable graces upon the entire human race, I beg of You light for poor sinners…Amen (Diary, 72)
You are the best thing ever happened to me.